|Campaign pamphlets illustrating Herter's state and congressional |
service, as well as a dinner program celebrating his gubernatorial victory.
Here’s a short timeline of Herter’s life and the political seats to which he was elected or appointed in Massachusetts and beyond:
- March 28, 1895: Christian Archibald Herter was born in Paris, France to expatriate parents.
- 1915: Graduated from Harvard University.
- Jan. 1931-Jan. 1943: Served as a republican state representative for the 5th Suffolk district; during the latter part of his tenure he was also appointed Speaker of the House.
- Jan. 1943-Jan. 1953: Served the 10th Massachusetts congressional district in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Jan. 1953-Jan. 1957: Served for one term as Governor of Massachusetts.
- Feb. 1957-Apr. 1959: Served as Under Secretary of State, appointed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
- Apr. 1959-Jan. 1961: Served as Secretary of State, appointed by Eisenhower.
- Dec. 1962-Dec. 1966 (his death): Served as the first United States Trade Representative, appointed by President John F. Kennedy.
For more information on Christian Herter’s life and career, please visit: