|Patrick Joseph Kennedy,|
shown here as a state
Boston in 1888, was a
son of Irish immigrants
and grandfather to
John F. Kennedy.
While this blog post touches upon what are considered to be the biggest historical influences, there were other factors that also played a part in the political shift. Here are some suggested resources for further reading, all of which are available in the library:
- Leading the Way: A History of the Massachusetts General Court, 1629-1980
- Public Officers of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (“Bird Books”) [online resource], which contain photographs and biographies of legislators beginning in 1885 up through the 2009-2010 session.
- The Boston Irish: A Political History
- Boston’s Immigrants, 1790-1880: A Study in Acculturation
- Boston’s Labor Movement: an Oral History of Work and Union Organizing [online resource]