With the nation marking the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War, there have been commemorations across the nation. The Massachusetts State House has had numerous events to mark this anniversary.
Friday, June 29, 2012
Friday, June 22, 2012
The staff in Special Collections sought to gain more information about the owner of the hymnal, and through their research they found that Hills enlisted as a drummerboy in the 23rd Massachusetts Volunteers at the young age of 15. Although both of his parents opposed his decision to join, they could not dissuade him, and it was then that Hill’s father, Albert Smith Hills, chose to accompany his son and enlist in the regiment with him. Both father and son served in General Burnside’s army in North Carolina, and they fought and served in several battles including the battle and capture of Roanoke Island.
Casey E. Davis
Casey E. Davis
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Monday, June 4, 2012
Friday, June 1, 2012
To register for the Brown Bag, please go to http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PGY5XTK
- Tuesday, July 10th- Pamela Wilmot, Executive Director, Massachusetts Common Cause
- Thursday, August 23rd, Connie Reik, Tisch Library, Tufts University, The Civil War Veteran in Federal and Massachusetts State Documents and Publications
- Thursday, September 20th, Elaine Grublin, The Massachusetts Historical Society, Civil War Papers of the Society with emphasis on the Battle of Antietam and the battle’s 150th anniversary
- Tuesday, October 16th, Alexandra S. Baker, The United States Census Bureau, The 2010 Census
- Thursday, November 15th, Dr. Marcia Hohn, The Immigrant Learning Center, Massachusetts Immigrant Entrepreneurs
Posted by State Library Staff at 10:29 AM